Friday 12 October 2012

Planning - What I Would Like to Achieve

When thinking about what sorts of things to include in my music video and choosing a song, I knew I wanted to  do a narrative video straightaway as I was very inspired by previous students who had made a music video in this style....

For example:



However I was also inspired by another music video that included a lot of dancing, so I knew I wanted to combine the two together in my music video...

For example:



Whilst listening to my ipod I visualised stories that could accompany the video, and dance routines for certain parts of the song - the song Homewrecker by Marina and The Diamonds seemed ideal. 


I personally interpreted the song to be about a girl who is a Heartbreaker, she is not the victim and finds it exciting and fun to be dominant and breaking people's hearts. Therefore in my music video I am going to try to portray a girl obsessed with breaking hearts and being very dominant over the men she fools with fake love. I realise this complex storyline will be difficult to show in 3.23 but I love to set myself difficult challenges and strive to do well!

I will split my video into different sections:
As my protagonist will be a extreme heartbreaker, I need to show a variety of men to make the story realistic to fit with my idea. I have chosen 3 men to be the victims of heartbreak in my music video. This is my basic idea...


  • The opening of the song is very hymn-like therefore I am going to start my video with a wedding set up where eventually my protagonist runs out of the church leaving the groom bewildered



  • Next it is the chorus where I will have 2  females and my main protagonist dancing



  • After this I will define my storyline with my protagonist flicking through an obsessive journal full of pictures of the men's hearts she has broken, and her next 3 targets. This will show her obsessed



  • Again the chorus will be repeated - this is so the video is not too random and has the theme of my protagonist being dominant and breaking hearts and has some continuity to show it is an ongoing cycle.



  • In the next part of the song I thought victim number two could come in, since the sound is very deep and mysterious I thought I could have my protagonist leaving someone in the night who had been in a supposedly long relationship. At certain fitting lines I will have cut backs to the wedding scene (this is further developed on in my lyrics analysis post)




  • After this part of the song, the beat changes and the tone is of something omnipotent and almost has a religious feel. I had to think for a long time about who this character could be who my protagonist could aspire to be like for this section. I thought of the Queen of Hearts (developed on in my influential media texts post), and therefore will use the green room to portray another world in which she belongs... it is almost like a delusional dream type thing.
  • In this I will have revisit the boys who have had their hearts broken and perhaps see the consequences of this, the headline, "kiss the boys and make them die" (in my inspirational media texts post) has made me consider them killing themselves in some form because they cannot cope with the loss of love and heart break.



  • Again the chorus will be repeated - this is so the video is not too random and has the theme of my protagonist being dominant and breaking hearts and has some continuity to show it is an ongoing cycle.



  •  However at the very end I will have my protagonist walk into a pub/bar type setting where her third target will be lined up to have his heart broken, then she will literally nod and wink at the camera to confirm the audience's thoughts that he is the next target and then she will walk towards the next victim... fade out.




No comments:

Post a Comment